This full day multisensory literacy workshop for teachers and other professionals working with children will include:
* including Frith’s literacy acquistion model, current literacy research and memory research.
How to conduct and analyse standardised literacy assessments
* including reading accuracy and comprehension, spelling, phonological awareness, pseudo-words and phonics.
The strategies used in the Cracking the ABC Code programs
* with a specific focus on understanding the alphabet ‘code’ and the spelling rules
* learning a simplified syllabification process as a decoding strategy
* learning a unique multisensory spelling strategy.
Demonstration lessons and sample student packs.
In addition, after the workshop participants will be given access to
When: Saturday 3rd June, 2017
Where: Royal Rehab Centre,
235 Morrison Rd, Ryde, NSW
Price: $385 (includes GST)
(includes comprehensive notes & sample packs
The research consistently shows that students with literacy difficulties benefit most from programs that systematically teach phonics in a structured, multisensory format and are evidence based. In addition to meeting this core criteria, the Cracking the ABC Code resources:
- Rapidly improve students’ reading and spelling skills. On average students completing a 12 week program improve 12 months in spelling and 18 months in reading accuracy and comprehension.
- Incorporate strategies from the memory research to ensure that the material is learned and remembered (e.g., is truly multisensory, uses picture cues, links new knowledge to existing knowledge, all the components interlink and repetition is built into the programs).
- Explicitly teach higher-order orthographic knowledge (e.g., prefixes, suffixes, root words, spelling rules, etc).
- Help develop students’ processing speed and working memory, two areas of common weakness among students with learning difficulties.
- Cover all aspects of literacy – reading, spelling and writing.
PLUS the material is very reasonably priced comparative to other programs of this calibre & is suitable for all ages from young students through to adolescents and illiterate adults.
For further information please contact Lillian:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 0402 156 567
The workshop will be of particular interest to teachers and other professionals working with students (especially one-on-one) who are struggling with reading and spelling, including students diagnosed with dyslexia. However, many of the strategies are applicable to the classroom.
It is a fast paced, comprehensive workshop, so come prepared to learn a lot.