Below is a sample of the Comprehension section of the Cracking the ABC Code Multisensory Reading Program Level 2
1. These are cloze exercises. Cloze exercises are useful for identifying a student’s knowledge and understanding of the reading process. They help extend the student’s vocabulary, encourage him/her to monitor for meaning and encourages the critical and analytical interpretation of the text.
2. These are definitions. For students to understand text, it is important that they are not only able to decode a word, but also understand the meaning of that word.The comprehension exercises are designed to reinforce the meaning of the words being learned in the previous section.
- Complete one comprehension exercise from each section each day.
- The student should read the sentence saying ‘something’ or a nonsense word like ‘burb’ in place of the missing word.
- Return to the columns of words and have the student find the correct word from the list.
- When the student finds the correct word, identify the letters of the sound being studied and the linking picture (e.g., th for three).
- Point out any unusual letter combinations that may make the correct spelling of the word difficult.
- Return to the comprehension page and say the syllables and then the sounds within the syllables as the student writes the word (e.g., mathematics: math=m-a-th, em=e-m, at=a-t, ics=i-c-s).
- Orally modelling the process the student should be using when spelling, will help make the strategy more instinctive for the student.
Click on the book images to purchase.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please send Lillian a message.